Re: Reflector for PC

Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:13:29 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Gary Dietz wrote:
> Actually, MPCS is around $4000 (not $5000) to over $20,000.

Is there a URL that breaks down the pricelist? Or is it available just on
the phone? $400 = 10 client? $20,000 = 50 client?
I didn't realize there were 5 client refs available..
So there's 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 client versions?

> 1) If you are an educator (not a student -- just an accredited University,
> K12 School, or private school, or Govt organization), you can get a 5 user
> MPCS and 5 CU clients for $995.

Whew..guess it's costing a lot more to develop MPCS than in the past? I
remember a couple of years back almost getting the educational discount
for the 50 client 2.0.1 reflector for $350 with a free upgrade to the 2.1
version.

> 3) You can lease MPCS conferences for your private use from Networks Online
> and Powerscourt (today) and many more places in the future.

Or you can talk to me or a number of other reflector operators for hosting
free reflector and MPCS conferences. :)

Actually, that URL bounces you to http://www.wpine.com/mp/

> Brian's Enhanced Reflector is indeed a wonderful tool for video chat
> enthusiasts, and I encourage you to use it if you are a hobbyist. There
> are many reason's to choose MeetingPoint, but I won't list them here
> (again) lest YAFW (yet another flame war) start.

>From what I know, the Enhanced Reflector was designed to correct the bugs
in the White Pine clients and to provide an alternative to the now costly
White Pine reflector/MPCS.

The reasons to choose MeetingPoint usually involve the commercial users
that are using CU for a lot more than casual use. You also have to keep
in mind that not everyone runs NT. Right now, Brian's Enhanced Reflector
is the ONLY solution available to those not on NT (since you can't
purchase the WP 2.1 reflector from what I gather). MPCS is a nice product
from what I've seen and does indeed do a lot that other commercial users
could really take advantage of. MPCS is following the same path the
WP client is following.

> Jason has many correct insights into the CU world, and many incorrect ones.

I agree...My vision can be quite slanted due to my history in the CU world
and where I've seen it develop. I can honestly say I haven't kept up with
what's being used in the commercial industry (on LANS, people with spare
T1s, etc.) I just share my viewpoints as I see them :) And from the
email I've gotten in the past, I'm not COMPLETELY wrong :)

Oh..and please forgive any typos in this msg..I'm currently having a blast
in Las Vegas so I don't have access to my normal system :)

Vive Las Vegas!