Re: Informative Reflector Sites

Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:58:47 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Ken Colburn wrote:
> My problem with the reflectors I have visited goes beyond the issue of
> child-safe. The conversations are usually inane, disjointed and
> otherwise uninformative.

I've seen this a lot as well. It depends heavily on the type of
conversation on the reflector. Some reflectors talk only with the
regulars on the reflector. Other people are much more willing to strike
up a conversation with strangers.

On my reflector, you can find some interesting topics. But since
reflectors are there not only for technical discussions, but also to build
relationships and communities, there's a lot of banter back and forth. It
can be fun as well. It just depends on what you enjoy and how easily the
regulars can involve others.

> I learn far more from this ListServ than from
> the reflectors, themselves.

You're not comparing apples to apples here. From what I've seen in the
past, the listserv is used a lot for tech support (getting CU to work).
Reflectors are where you can get to know people with similar interests and
have fun yapping with people. You wouldn't expect the same kind of
discussions in a bar as you would in the tech support department of an
ISP.

> Does anyone know of reflectors with serious
> dialogue? Almost any topic will do.

Feel free to try my public reflector...128.83.42.61
There's a variety of discussions that go on (as is the case with most
other reflectors I imagine)