Re: Run CU-SeeMe Client and Reflector Simultaneously

Thu, 19 Mar 1998 02:31:45 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Scott Lacroix wrote:
> At 03:42 PM 3/18/98 -0600, Jason Williams wrote:
> >If you have multiple interfaces, each with their own IP connected to the
> >internet, then it's theoretically possible. Practically though, it's not
> >since CU doesn't let you select which interface to bind to.
>
> But the WhitePine server will. And the older WP 2.X reflectors for that
> matter. I don't know about Brian's Enhanced Reflector.... Brian?

I know Brian's will from setting a few of Enhanced Reflectors up. The WP
reflector can also do it. What I'm more concerned about it are the
clients. NONE of the clients that I know of (Cornell or White Pine) allow
you to select an interface to bind to. Oddly enough, the Linux port DOES
allow you to bind to different interfaces (through a command line option)

> For Windows, possibly if you had a separate TCP stack for each IP
> address... IE: one is a LAN connection, the other a Modem (or something
> like that)...

Yep..but from experience watching other people setup internal LANs as well
as dial-up connections (as well as from watching what Brian Godette has to
say about it), it seems CU grabs the local IP from the last installed
interface. Unlike most SERVERS out there that I've come across, there's
no way to select which interface to bind to. It not only affects CU but a
lot of other programs as well (iVisit for instance).