Re: Run CU-SeeMe Client and Reflector Simultaneously

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:51:44 -0700

At 08:58 PM 3/18/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At 03:42 PM 3/18/98 -0600, Jason Williams wrote:
>>> Or is there any trick (we got two IPs if there is a local network card:
>>> 127.0.0.1 **and** the local ip the ethernet card, e.g. 192.168.1.2, and
>>> if we add another network card, we may have a third ip ?) to do it
>>> anyhow, with
>>> LINUX and with W95 ??
>>
>>If you have multiple interfaces, each with their own IP connected to the
>>internet, then it's theoretically possible. Practically though, it's not
>>since CU doesn't let you select which interface to bind to.
>
> But the WhitePine server will. And the older WP 2.X reflectors for that
>matter. I don't know about Brian's Enhanced Reflector.... Brian?
>
> I still don't think it would work tho, but I've never tried it either...
>For Windows, possibly if you had a separate TCP stack for each IP
>address... IE: one is a LAN connection, the other a Modem (or something
>like that)... I haven't worked with the Linux client yet, so I'm not sure
>how that works.
> It certainly would be an interesting test!

Yeah, ERef has been capable of that for a fairly long time. However until
the client allows you to choose which interface to use, it still isn't
possible to run the client and reflector on the same system (95/NT/Mac).
However with Linux and OS/2 where the freeware clients allow you to choose
the interface (can even be aliased interfaces) it is possible.

>From what I understand is that with a bind to INADDR_ANY, the source
address in the IP header is selected by the TCP/IP stack based on the
destination address in the case of a multiple physical interfaces. So
trying to connect to a reflector running on the same system, even if it is
bound to a specific interface, will fail as the client will appear to be
sending packets from the same IP address as the reflector (loopback
condition).