Re: Run CU-SeeMe Client and Reflector Simultaneously

Brian Godette (bgodette@idcomm.com)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:02:46 -0700

At 02:31 AM 3/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Scott Lacroix wrote:
>> At 03:42 PM 3/18/98 -0600, Jason Williams wrote:
>> >If you have multiple interfaces, each with their own IP connected to the
>> >internet, then it's theoretically possible. Practically though, it's not
>> >since CU doesn't let you select which interface to bind to.
>>
>> But the WhitePine server will. And the older WP 2.X reflectors for that
>> matter. I don't know about Brian's Enhanced Reflector.... Brian?
>
>I know Brian's will from setting a few of Enhanced Reflectors up. The WP
>reflector can also do it. What I'm more concerned about it are the
>clients. NONE of the clients that I know of (Cornell or White Pine) allow
>you to select an interface to bind to. Oddly enough, the Linux port DOES
>allow you to bind to different interfaces (through a command line option)
>
>> For Windows, possibly if you had a separate TCP stack for each IP
>> address... IE: one is a LAN connection, the other a Modem (or something
>> like that)...
>
>Yep..but from experience watching other people setup internal LANs as well
>as dial-up connections (as well as from watching what Brian Godette has to
>say about it), it seems CU grabs the local IP from the last installed
>interface. Unlike most SERVERS out there that I've come across, there's

Yeah, for the most part anyways. If you happen to put your system name in
the HOSTS file with your current dynamic IP address CU will pick that as it
attempts a gethostbyname() lookup first, that's the reason why the
remove/reboot/add/reboot "fix" doesn't work for some people (internal
TCP/IP networks and their machine name is the hosts file or local DNS
server).