Re: Mac ANOMALY (bizarre! or just stupid...)

Dr. Jonathan Crellin (crellinj@sis.port.ac.uk)
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 00:52:55 -1200

>At 01:08 PM 3/28/98 -0800, Stacie Bering wrote:
>>Downloaded and installed an extension that places the current desktop
>>into the video stream. Might have had CU application, might not. Anyway,
>>I forgot the name of the extension...
>>
>>Now my Apple Video ONLY shows the desktop regardless of software source
>>selection.
>>
>>Need to uninstall the extension, or whatever the **** it was and I can't
>>find it or figure out how to dump this "feature."
>>
>>HELP HELP HELP
>>
>>Signed,
>>
>>Embarassed in Spokane
>>
>Ahhh......for once I get to needle a Mac user and say "you wouldn't be in
>this fix with Windows" (might be in a lot of other fixes, but not this one
>anyway) :)
>
>It's been a while since I've played on a Mac, and you didn't indicate what
>Mac OS you were using, but I believe there is a system setting application
>that should show you what drivers/applications you have installed. If you
>can't find the extension that way and remove it, you're best bet will
>probably be to uninstall all the software relating to your video card, and
>then reinstall. If that doesn't work, try snooping around in your settings
>for applications that start-up when you boot your system.
>
>If all else fails, you may have to install the OS again. If that comes to
>pass, I hope for your sake it is less traumatic to do that on a Mac than on
>a Windows 95 platform.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Jon Brumbach

This is almost certainly the extension called DesktopVDIG (that was a
surprise wasn't it :-)

Fortunately you are using a Mac so the extensions have obvious names
(unlike windows) and you are unlikely to need to reinstall your OS (unlike
windows). (Not that I'm getting at Windows you understand :-) Just drag it
out of the extension folder and restart. If you can't select another Vdig
from within CU this begs the question if you have any others installed?

Dr. Jonathan Crellin
Department of Information Science
University of Portsmouth
Milton Campus tel 1: 01705 844291 (weekdays 9-5)
Portsmouth tel 2: 0973 867911 (if no reply/answering m. on 1)
email: crellinj@sis.port.ac.uk
http://www.sis.port.ac.uk/~crellinj/