Re: CU-SeeMe Mac under MachTen

Richard Cogger (R.Cogger@cornell.edu)
Mon, 1 May 1995 15:34:16 -0400

At 3:00 AM 5/1/95, William O Ferry wrote:
> I have a Mac Performa 636 CD 8/1000, System 7.1.2P, on which I run
>MachTen 2.1.1 (Unix for the Macintosh). When I try to run
>CU-SeeMe.68k0.80b2, I get the error "Error -23015 during `Can't Open
>MacTCP`" I can run other MacTCP apps (Maven, Netscape, Eudora,
>Anarchie, etc) just fine under MachTen.
> Note that MachTen does replace "MacTCP" with it's own "mactcpd"
>stack, but it's almost impossible to tell the two apart. CU-SeeMe does
>seem to have a problem with it, however
>.
We tested with MachTen a couple years ago and it didn't work-- they were
trying to figure out why. It may be their implementation of UDP, since
very few apps use UDP. You should probably talk to them, I think they
should be able to fix it.

> Also, if this is the correct place, I'd like to make some
>suggestions for upcoming CU-SeeMe versions. I feel that more of the
>settings should be preserved by CUSM. For example, every time I start
>CUSM, I have to reset my brightness, contrast, volume threshold (for non
>Push-To-Talk), and other settings. It would be nice if these settings
>were preserved from one run to the next. Plus, a way to automatically
>connect to a certain reflector at startup would be nice (is this already
>possible in the Mac version?)
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The squelch setting is not but should be preserved, yes. (You must be
talking about the Mac?) The other settings are. Also, the Talk window
should be enhanced so that it's size and position are preserved. An
upcoming redesign of the Audio window will fix the squelch preservation.
An upcoming release will add a "connection document."

Cheers, -Dick