Re-Broadcasting video/audio legal?

Iain Davidson (iain@waldorf.cc.wwu.edu)
Mon, 1 May 1995 17:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 1 May 1995, Stan Borinski wrote:
> From: Stan Borinski <stanb@internic.net>
>
> > .....the ABC station .....in Oklahoma City.
> > Bill Eastman beastman@i-link.net
> > Austin, Texas
>
> Folks:
>
> Not to be a party pooper, but isn't there a copyright restriction on rebroad-
> casting news?... or has permission been obtained by the reflector operator?

I thought about this too with a radio station from Canada I like
(CFOX,99.3, Vancouver, BC). I tune my radio to the station and
'accidentally' put my microphone next to radio. Somehow other
CU-SeeMe people can hear it too. :)

What if I point my camera to my TV? Re-broadcast my local run of Star
Trek to the next.

Now.. my guess is that this isn't covered under the FCC rules of
'Frequancy Regulation and Guidelines'. Which Radio/Electric-Magnetic
frequency are we using to broadcast?? Are there any guidelines/LAWS
governing the Internet and/or Digital transmissions?

Think of ham-radio operators or short-wave operators. I believe they all
have to be 'certified broadcastors' (with registered call-sign) even to
'legally' speak on the air-waves.

What state law or federal law have I broken? What if I were to PGP
encrypt the video packets so only 'my friends' can see it? I don't have
a problem with CU-SeeMe rebroadcasting, as long as I 1) don't receive any
monetary gains, and 2) Don't claim ownership of originality or authorship
of broadcast.

What do you think?
-Iain