Re: Re-Broadcasting video/audio legal?

John C. Abell (jabell@EARTHLINK.NET)
Mon, 01 May 1995 18:53:13 -0700

Think you'd be on very shaky ground whatever your motives.
The right to re-broadcast or re-transmit is closely held. An
individual's right to the transmission is only for personal enjoyment. I
doubt there is anything about Internet technology which provides a loophole
to basic copyright/FCC rules. (And this would be a civil, not criminal,
matter, I expect).
After all, it just might be that the licensee has _plans_ to market to
your friends <g>.
And, BTW, the KOCO-TV reflector was provided by the University of
Oklahoma-Norman student newspaper, which surely had the station's permission.

At 05:52 PM 5/1/95 -0700, Iain Davidson wrote:
>On Mon, 1 May 1995, Stan Borinski wrote:
>> From: Stan Borinski <stanb@internic.net>
>>
>> > .....the ABC station .....in Oklahoma City.
>> > Bill Eastman beastman@i-link.net
>> > Austin, Texas
>>
>> Folks:
>>
>> Not to be a party pooper, but isn't there a copyright restriction on rebroad-
>> casting news?... or has permission been obtained by the reflector operator?
>
>I thought about this too with a radio station from Canada I like
>(CFOX,99.3, Vancouver, BC). I tune my radio to the station and
>'accidentally' put my microphone next to radio. Somehow other
>CU-SeeMe people can hear it too. :)
>
>What if I point my camera to my TV? Re-broadcast my local run of Star
>Trek to the next.
>
>Now.. my guess is that this isn't covered under the FCC rules of
>'Frequancy Regulation and Guidelines'. Which Radio/Electric-Magnetic
>frequency are we using to broadcast?? Are there any guidelines/LAWS
>governing the Internet and/or Digital transmissions?
>
>Think of ham-radio operators or short-wave operators. I believe they all
>have to be 'certified broadcastors' (with registered call-sign) even to
>'legally' speak on the air-waves.
>
>What state law or federal law have I broken? What if I were to PGP
>encrypt the video packets so only 'my friends' can see it? I don't have
>a problem with CU-SeeMe rebroadcasting, as long as I 1) don't receive any
>monetary gains, and 2) Don't claim ownership of originality or authorship
>of broadcast.
>
>What do you think?
>-Iain
jabell@earthlink.net (John C. Abell)
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty.
I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have
finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
"Any problem can be solved with the materials available in the
room at the time." -- Edwin Land