Re: Melting the Internet?

Per Gregers Bilse (bilse@EU.net)
Wed, 3 May 1995 01:10:47 +0200

On May 2, 15:00, Michael Sattler <msattler@jungle.com> wrote:
> I'm very sympathetic about the congestion of the lines between Europe and
> the USA; our Australian collegues have been saying the same thing for a
> while (and getting their usage metered).
>
> The bandwidth problem is being addressed at all levels. The following is

I don't understand what you mean by this. It's completely irrelevant
what Rutkowski said -- there is not an army of friendly Telcos lined
up with cheap bandwidth, just because a number of people think that
would be nice.

Just tonight we upgraded to 4Mbit transatlantic bandwidth. This
costs on the order of USD 100'000 per month -- or well over USD 2 per
minute -- in Telco charges alone; not least because there's many
thousand miles of undersea cable in between. Half a dozen careless
CU-SeeMe'ers can fill it up. Wanna bet what they say if we send them
the bill?

As has been said before, "The Internet isn't free, it just looks like
that because somebody else is paying". What is it that makes people
believe that an N kbit Internet connection allows them to use N kbit
on a continuous basis? Where do they get the idea that raw bandwidth
(which is what AV applications need) is cheaper on the Internet than
if they go buy it themselves from the Telcos?

--
===    ___                        === Per G. Bilse, Sr. Network Engineer
===   /     /  /   __   ___  _/_  === EUnet Communications Services B.V.