Re: Melting the Internet?

Borre Ludvigsen (borrel@hiof.no)
Wed, 3 May 1995 19:34:08 +0000

Mike,

This is NOT a "head in the sand" attitude on my part. I made an early
CUsm homepage (which really needs redoing, I know), we're working on
Norwegian CU pages, in fact we're establishing CUsm as a basic service on
Uninett (the Norwegian academic network) and various other projects to
establish responsible CUsm usage.

My only concern is that CUsm not be pulled down as the application that
sank the net. I'm therefore asking that the team who launched the program
in first place have a fair say in the way the use of the program develops
because they will inevitably be at the receiving end when things go wrong.

As for the bandwidth issue - the oceanic links are usually swamped during
prime time most days (12 - 18 gmt) - newsgroup or no. I'm told the
situation will improve over summer. Ideally, those of us who have been
most active in generatic CUsm traffic should contact the trunk operators
to investigate how to acheive reasonably smooth scaling in the growth of
this kind of traffic.

- Barre