Re: Melting the Internet?

Harry Mendell (mendell@morgan.com)
Fri, 5 May 1995 14:09:49 -0400

On May 4, 11:50am, Andrew Lih wrote:
> Subject: Re: Melting the Internet?
> In message <9505041246.AA22413@sn6128>, fuetja@utica.ge.com writes:
> >
> > One issue that I haven't seen addressed in the TCP vs. UDP debate
> > is the effect on those of us behind firewalls. It seems pretty
> > clear that all (most?) firewalls will not pass UDP packets. It
> > would seem that a significant portion of the potential CUSM user
> > base is in the corporate world which is increasingly hiding behind
> > firewalls.
> >
> > Day by day your potential users will be dissapearing if
> > UDP is continued. How is this problem going to be solved?
>
> Have you heard of UDP Relay? It's the moral equivalent of the proxy
> server SOCKS, for UDP.
>
> However, UDP itself isn't the reason why corporate security folks
> should be scared of CU SeeMe. How much do you want to bet that the
> white-board you have on the wall behind you has either proprietary
> information on it, a product development time-line, a user
> login/password, etc. That makes for a nice background when you're
> conferencing with people.
>
> Security people have enough qualms about letting pepole ftp out of the
> the corporation. One can't imagine them being happy about a camera in
> everyone's office sending video all over the world.
>
> -Andrew
>
> `''' Andrew "Fuz" Lih Columbia University
> c @@ lih@cs.columbia.edu Mobile Computing Laboratory
> \
> - (PCMCIA: People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms)
>-- End of excerpt from Andrew Lih

The point is that SOCKS is in use almost everywhere in corporate environment
and UDP relay is not. It is a hard sell for security to study and install UDP
relay, and very easy for a user to simply download a CU-SeeMe TCP based
program, if TCP were used.

Secondly, most of us are smart enough not to write passwords on whiteboards, or
for that matter to aim the camera in that direction.