Re: Melting the Internet?

Per Gregers Bilse (bilse@EU.net)
Mon, 8 May 1995 15:33:39 +0200

On May 7, 15:18, Michael Sattler <msattler@jungle.com> wrote:
> I must reiterate that I feel the entire "problem", such as it is, depends
> upon a great difference in local (US) and international capacities. How
> will Per and our Australian counterparts feel when they're doing local 128

We don't, see below.

> kbps and international 4 mbps and every yutz in the USA is using everything
> from a true Internet connection to a shell like America On-Line at several
> mbps?
>
> Increasing local and international bandwidth is *the* issue I'd focus on,
> were I paid by someone to deal with these issues. It may be that the rest
> of Earth is fated to follow in the wake of our now-trendy get-on-the-net
> fever that's gripped commercial interests large and small. If so, we'll
> have this argument again and again over the next year or so - and it'll be
> a discussion between the haves and the have-nots.

This is not the issue -- it probably comes as a surprise to
US-centrics, but for instance here in The Netherlands we will have
100Mbit infrastructure completed this summer; this is much higher
capacity than most/any US provider operates with.

The issue is not haves vs have-nots. The issue is how to keep you
and I connected; the Internet as we know it consists of islands (in
practice US, Europe, Asia/Australia; give or take a lot) linked
together by very thin pipes -- "thin" compared to national and local
bandwidth. These pipes are thin because they are very expensive.
They are expensive mostly because trans-oceanic cables are very
expensive. No amount of rhetoric will change that.

--
===    ___                        === Per G. Bilse, Sr. Network Engineer
===   /     /  /   __   ___  _/_  === EUnet Communications Services B.V.