Forwarded mail.... (fwd)

Netman (eabu927@ea.oac.uci.edu)
Wed, 10 May 1995 20:20:42 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 11:53:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mihai Damian <eaiu710@ea.oac.uci.edu>
To: Claudiu Dan <eabu927@ea.oac.uci.edu>
Subject: Forwarded mail....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 May 95 11:32:10 EDT
From: ddaniels@VNET.IBM.COM
To: eaiu710@ea.oac.uci.edu, jstamm@VNET.IBM.COM,
Mihai.Damina.eaiu710@ea.oac.uci.edu

Thanks for your interest in IBM's products and especially in our
MPEG-2 technology.

I will attempt to answer your questions here.

The MPEG-2 products that IBM just announced are hardware products
and are single CMOS chips. That is, the I-frame encoder is a single
CMOS chip that performs real time encoding and the decoder is also
a single CMOS chip that performs real time decoding. The products
are fully compliant with MPEG-2 Main Profile at Main Level which
means the image resolution is up to 720 x 480 pixels.

The products are available as follows:
decoder -- part number IBM39 MPEGCD1 CFA 25 C is available now.
encoder -- part number IBM39 MPEGSE1 CFB 20 C will be available
in July, 1995.

The products come with accompanying microcode. There is no "shareware"
code since these products are hardware semiconductor chips. The chips
are intended for OEM companies that are designing and building their
own digital video MPEG cards, products or systems. Therefore, the
chips will work in whatever system the OEM designer intends the
end product to work with.

If you are interested in the chip details and literature, please send
me your mailing address, full name and phone number.

I hope this anwers your questions. Feel free to call if you have
further questions.

Dave Daniels
IBM Microelectonics Division
Endicott, NY