Re: use the outer edge of Eithernet

Don Johnson (johnson@magicnet.net)
Sat, 13 May 1995 13:27:49 -0400

>>At 22:32 5/12/95, Don Johnson wrote:
>>
>>>...Their system claims to
>>>use the outer edge of Eithernet cable therefore not degrading network
>>>performance nada....
>>
>>Huh? How do they train the electrons to recognize the outer edge of the
>>cable? Does it matter if you use Thicknet (IEEE 802.3) which has much more
>>of an outer surface, thinnet (which has much less), or twisted-pair RJ-11
>>(where the outside gets twisted to be the inside, and, well, the electrons
>>would get all dizzy).

>Leave it to you Michael to not let me get away with that one! Let me put
it in their words and I welcome all feedback.

>"Many DVC systems use the computer's CPU and memory for processing; others
use network bandwidth that's normally reserved for data and other
applications. Just one video phone call with these systems can bring an
entire network to a standstill."

>"By contrast, C-Phone does not affect the performance of PC's and the
network. C-PHONE's internal card includes its own processor and memory,
freeing the computer's processing power for other work. And, since C-PHONE
transmits video at broadband rates, the bandwidth required for normal data
traffic remains untouched."

>"...No network bandwidth is used in transmitting the video. Hundreds of
simultaneous video calls can be made. Other DVC systems often have the
ability to connect within the building, but these systems use enormous
amounts of network bandwidth, rendering the network unusable for the people
who use the network when even one video call is in progress."