Re: use the outer edge of Eithernet

Michael Sattler (msattler@jungle.com)
Sat, 13 May 1995 19:50:29 -0700

At 17:23 5/13/95, Matthew Beebe wrote:

>Well, think of it as "out-of-band" and you'll be a step ahead.
>The 802.3 (ethernet) only uses a certain portion of the physical
>bandwith on the cable...
>
>The same thing is done with these video/voice over existing
>systems. The data is modulated onto an unused "channel" of
>the existing ethernet cable. ie: The 802.3 only takes a fixed
>amount of bandwith to work.. the cable has physical characteristics
>allowing it to carry more data.

This is news to me. I always assumed that the amount of data one could
pull around a network was constrained by the physical limitations of the
cable/fiber, not by some standard that decreed what the max bits/second
are.

If there's really "unused" space on any given network, wouldn't this be the
first place hackers and providers would work on to get more bits in and out
of a system?

Friends don't let friends use Microsoft products |