ISND in Europe

Ian Carr-de Avelon (avelon@phys.uva.nl)
Mon, 15 May 1995 11:12:55

Dear All,

ON: Sat, 13 May 1995 01:33:04 -0400
johnson@magicnet.net (Don Johnson) wrote:

> Incidentally, though ISDN is still expensive in
> most of the US it is the standard in Europe.

If only that were true. In any case the term "Stand-
ard" always has a different level of certainty here,
like in some languages there is no word which really
means tomorrow.
If all the European telcos who take this list send
details of the systems they offer or intend to offer
as ISDN, we will get as many systems as answers. 64K
56K different up and down rates etc.etc.
Deregulation in Europe is progressing at different
rates. When deregulation occurs in a country there
appears to be money to be made by connecting major
users (banks TV companies etc.) this is mainly done
by putting cables along railway lines, so they don't
have to dig and there is only one agreement to be
made. Also Radio/Cell phone attracts new operators.
Nobody is interested in digging up all the roads in a
city to connect: homes, schools, small businesses.
Without competition there is no push for the telcos
to offer cheap high rate lines. Quotes for ISDN which
I have seen run around 800 US Dollars for connection.
You have to use that bandwidth for hours at a time
before it is worth it.
The change which will/may lead to free-fighting and
cheap ISDN at least in cites, is that the cable TV
companies could offer ISDN, and the telcos want to
offer cable TV. There is, apparently, capacity for 30
channels of MPEG + ISDN on a telephone cable. All
proposals which I see for new systems are highly
"asymmetric". The user can send at far lower rates
than they can receive. You push the button marked
'yes' and big brother sends you a multimedia expe-
rience. Peer - peer networking is not what they have
in mind.
Incidently is this THE Don Johnson? I am THE Ian
Carr-de Avelon, in case anyone was wondering.
Yours

Ian

* Ian Carr-de Avelon avelon@phys.uva.nl *
* http://pc-ia184.phys.uva.nl/avelon.htm *