Re: Satellite CU-SeeMe

Little Robbie Burcham (burchamr@lark.cc.ukans.edu)
Fri, 26 May 1995 17:06:36 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 May 1995 JohnBalogh@psu.edu wrote:

> At 01:14 PM 5/25/95 PDT, David R. Seay wrote:
> >A new service is available that provides access to the Internet via
> >satellite (see http://www.acmeweb.com/direcpc/index.html ). Data can
> >be received at speeds up to 400kbps via a satellite dish. Maybe this
> >could turn into a good way to broadcast CU-SeeMe videoconferences?
> >Just something to look into.
>
> >From that web page, it appears that Hughes/GM is charging for useage.
> They seem to have a limit of 130MB/month for the most expensive plan.
> If you only use CUSM and limit yourself to 100Kbps (watching only
> 2 others users at 50Kbps each) you could run for:
> 130MB*8b(/B)/100Kb/S = 10400 Seconds per month = 2.9 hours per month.
>
> Hmmm. I still like ISDN at the same rate without a monthly limit.

Not to mention the fact that the satellite is receive-only. That is, you
get a satellite feed of up to 800 kb/s, but all of your sending is done
through SLIP/PPP to an 800 # terminal server.

Rob Burcham - BS, Computer Science
University of Kansas "He's nuts! Somebody grab him!"
Department of Special Education
http://robb.sped.ukans.edu
http://www.ukans.edu/~burcham