Re: DEVICE ALREADY IN USE

Jim Begley (jbegley@ccnet.com)
Thu, 2 May 1996 09:34:38 +0800

> From: gpl@henry.net (George P Lois)
> To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
> Subject: DEVICE ALREADY IN USE

> Sometimes, when I'm online with my Quickcam and CuSeeme, my Win95
> screen freezes up and the only solution left is to close the
> program. When I open it back up, my image has disappeared from my
> Quickcam window and a message pops up:"Device already in use".
>
> I have to get offline and reboot my system to get my Quickcam to
> work again. Strange!
>
> Am I alone?
>

> George
> gpl@henry.net

George,

Your last question first. Look around in the room you ate in, if you
see no other people, then yes, you are alone. Otherwise not.

As to the "device in use" error. Yes that will happen anytime CU
crashes and does not fully release all devices. It is more of a Win
95 error than a CU error. Unfortunately, a reboot is all that will
free up that device.

You do need to find out more about why CU is crashing. Do you get any
error messages before it bombs? Any pre-blowup information would be
helpful.

Good Luck
Jim Begley
jbegley@ccnet.com