Re: USR Sportster Winmodem 28.8/33.6

Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Sun, 05 May 1996 18:15:41 -0500

Januario D. Veloso, M.D. wrote:

> Just purchased a USR Sportster Winmodem 28.8 which is
> software upgradeable to 33.6 via the USR BBS. I intend to use it a
> lot with CU-SeeMe. However, I've been reading a lot of bad press about
> USR 33.6 sportsters, especially in regards with CU-SeeMe. Do you think I
> should return this modem? Any comments on other modem brands/models?

Greetings:
I have a USR Sportster 28.8 (33.6) as well. What can I say? Some people have
"bad luck" with modems. Me? The USR modem I have hasn't given me any problems.
The 33.6 firmware upgrade DOES help increase bandwidth *somewhat*. I'ld suggest
you setup your 28.8 first, and try connecting to the internet a few times, noting
your average connection rates (i.e. - 21,600 / 26,400 / 28,800 ). Then install
the 33.6 upgrade and try this testing process again. You *should* receive an
average of 2400 baud increase on throughput (phone line quality, aside)!
If you're not comfortable with what you see, keep your receipts and return your
modem and firmware chip!

Hope this helps,

PHONE: (JOB) HUN-TING "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"