Re: hosts file

Jonathan Day (Jonathan.Day@umist.ac.uk)
Tue, 07 May 1996 00:00:32 +0000

Rocky Gregory wrote:

> I have the host.sam too is this THE host file?
>
> On Mon, 6 May 1996, David I. Sommers, Ph.D. wrote:

There should be a file that is simply called 'hosts'. No
extension. It should be a plain ASCII file, easily looked
at with any editor. In it, there should be a list of numbers
and names, numbers in the left-most column, names on any
subsequent columns. Which directory it is in depends very
much on your system. If you're using the Novell Netware,
it may well be in /nwclient/tcp, /net/tcp or something of
that sort. (It should be pointed to in the net.cfg file)
On a Unix-ish machine, it'll be in /etc. For anything else,
see if you've any utilities that'll search for files.

Please note that the conformity and consistancy of computing
is about on-par with badly grated cheese, so don't be overly
shocked if absolutely none of the above applies to the
software on your system.