Re: Videophone vs. CU and "hi tech"

James Crittenden (jamesc3@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 7 May 1996 15:00:23 -0700

At 09:07 AM 5/7/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 11:49 AM 5/4/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>Dear Cuseeme buddies:
>>
>>I have been experimenting with the cuseeme stuff now for about a month and
>>have it running really well off a 14.4 w/out a cam. However, I am running
>>it at home w/a cam at 288 and that seems to be no problem when traffic is low.
>>
>>My question is more dealing with the software that comes with the quickcam.
>>It is called *connectix videoconferencing.* Of course, it is not compatible
>>w/cuseeme and I am not sure if it is working or not. Does anyone have
>>connectix videoconfering and what are there experiences with the product.
>>It appears to be very hi-tech than cuseeme I was just wondering if more than
>>just me have it.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>James
>>
>>p.s. -people should use the *cudemon dialer* to connect to sites. It does
>>the hardwork of finding sites b/c it has a database that can be updated and
>>it is good addon piece to cornell's version.
>

>Hello James,
>
>I am just curious. When you say that Videophone is more "hi tech" than CU, I
>wonder if you could be a bit more precise. Why does it appear more "hi tech"
>to you?
>
>Thanks,
>Dennis
>
>PS I am curious because I study UI (human-computer interfaces) for computer
>products and I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
>

>--------------------------------------+------------------------------
>Dennis J. Streveler, Ph.D., | Internet: strev@mobius.net
>Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
> | CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net
> "Future Technologies in Medicine" +------------------------------
> "International Software Development | 415 239-1441
> Methodologies" | 415 469-9476 fax
> "Human-Computer Interface Design +------------------------------
> for Casual Users" | 127 Lake Merced Hill
> | San Francisco CA 94132 USA
>--------------------------------------+------------------------------
>
>My job? To send the appropriate electrons hurtling around the globe.
>

>Dear Dennis and Cubuddies:

I guess that was possibly a wrong choice of words, (Hi Tech). It appears to
be more reliable piece of software and handles bandwith better. Of course
these are all speculations since there has not been a single person that I
have seen or log onto with this particular application. But what I will do
is the following:

1. My bro-in-Law has the same Connectix Videophone and I will ask him to
connect with me from Va. to NY via modem to modem not tcp/ip. Further, we
will experiment with the video as well as the audio. The attempts will be
tcp/ip and modem to modem with documentation on the experiment for your
viewing pleasure.

Last I would suggest that people try the Freeview video phone that is being
distributed via the net free. Their web page is www.freevue.com. It is a
little different than cuseeme whereas you all connect to a server and log on
by nicknames other ip#s. I notice for my system a clearer picture and the
audio as well as visual works okay. Of course you will have problems at
first with the appropriate connection but it nice that all you have to do is
put in a name and not and 127.0.0.1 address everytime.

One more thing d/l craigs cudemon for cuseeme and freevuedemon. They assist
in the leg work of getting a whole lot of reflector lists or writing numbers
that you do not want to remember.

Hope this helps.....

Oh one more thing -Kent State reflector is a good test reflector if you want
to see something.