Re: Ethernet connection.

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Wed, 08 May 1996 22:54:40 -0700

At 05:00 PM 5/8/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I am a new user to CU-SEEME. I recently attended a conference that
>demonstrated CU-SEEME over a 100MB/sec ethernet connection. I was
>very impressed.
>
>Now for my situation, I am testing CU-SEEME over a 10MB/sec ethernet
>LAN. I have two PC's connecting to each other over this LAN. The video
>is acceptable (4-10 fps) but the audio is terrible. If I freeze video then
>the audio is acceptable. What can I expect over a 10mb/sec connection?
>I have read a lot of messages that deal with a 28.8 modem and it is my
>impression that we should be getting a better response from our PC's.
>
>PS. is there a way to limit the number of frames per second? I tried to
>use the local video window but it did not work. When I increased the
>Max KBS I noticed an increase in frames transmitted and little effect on
>audio.

Hello,

Yes my observations are similar. At 10Base-T speed the audio is still a
severe problem in CU. I am glad to hear that at 100Base-T that the audio
impressed you. That is encouraging.

I really don't think you should have to freeze video on a 10meg connection
to get decent audio. Are you using Enhanced CU? I am told that there are
improvements there, but, frankly, I have no direct evidence of this (I've
used both the Cornell and White Pine version). In general audio has been a
disaster. I sat at the end of a T1-T1-ISDN conference (at the ISDN end!) the
other day and we had to revert to Internet Phone to get our audio up to an
acceptable level.

I trust White Pine will address the audio problem real-soon-now. With the
emergeance of telephony products such as Internet Phone and Web Talk,
people's expectations of audio quality has increased markedly of late.

Cheers,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net
"Future Technologies in Medicine" +------------------------------
"International Software Development | 415 239-1441
Methodologies" | 415 469-9476 fax
"Human-Computer Interface Design +------------------------------
for Casual Users" | 127 Lake Merced Hill