Re: phone barons

Chris Yagmin (cyagmin@tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil)
Thu, 9 May 1996 07:47:47 -0400

At 02:55 PM 5/8/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Not that this has anything to do with cu-see-me..... The real way to
>stick it to the phone companies is to interface the Internet with the
>phone system so that long distance calls become a combination of local
>calls and the Internet. Unfortunately companies that do this are going to
>be just as interested in making money as the Internet is. But it is being
>done currently in a few areas. If anyone has information on this I'd be
>interesting in finding out more about these projects.
>-Elliot

Well I guess the phone companies are going to get our money one way or
another. I was watching the news on tuesday and one of the lead stories was
about how the telephone companies want to increase the base charge by ten
dollars over five years. I am not sure what rational they are using to
justify this but, it sounds excessive to me. I did not hear what kind of
regulatory process they have to go through to make this increase happen.

sigh.

Chris.