Re: Phone Barons / Non-profit LAN anyone?

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Fri, 10 May 1996 08:08:47 -0700

At 02:38 AM 5/10/96 -0500, elliot smith wrote:
>I agree that the phone companies might well get us one way or the other.
>For example, what would stop them from using sophisticated compression
>chips such as those used in some places for cell phones to restrict
>bandwidth on local calls to just that required for voice, and then charge
>extra for extra bandwidth required for digital networking?

Hello Elliot,

OH gosh don't give em any new ideas! :(

Seriously, the phone companies (most specifically the T&T's of the world)
have been ingenious over the years in finding ways to control their empires:

1) In Greece, the T&T emits a high-pitched (not audible) tone every minute.
Thus if you don't have THEIR modem, it kicks your modem right off the air
reliably every 60 seconds! (I am told a number of other countries do this as
well.)

2) In Australia, there is a big sign greeting you at Sydney airport telling
you that using YOUR cellular phone in Australia is illegal and that you will
be prosecuted.

3) And most countries adopted different physical plugs (different than
RJ-11's used in the US) to make it as difficult as possible for foreigners
to plug in. I have a collection of these plugs which one day I am going to
put on display. I have some twenty of them at the moment.

So, I don't think we have to worry that the phone companies, especially the
governmental monopolies, won't TRY to at least slow us down!

-Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net
"Future Technologies in Medicine" +------------------------------
"International Software Development | 415 239-1441
Methodologies" | 415 469-9476 fax
"Human-Computer Interface Design +------------------------------
for Casual Users" | 127 Lake Merced Hill