multiple Q's and A's, mini FAQ again

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sat, 11 May 1996 11:43:25 -0500

>From: .@dub-mail-svc-1.compuserve.com, @compuserve.com
>
>I receive and transmitt video just fine but I have yet to hear anyones=
voice.
>Here are the specs on my system::
>
>486dx266
>12 meg ram
>1.2g hd
>Reveal TV 300 tv card
>Cirrus vesa video card w/ 2meg
>Sound Blaster Pro audio card
>Reveal PM800 28.8 Fax/Modem

The most common problems modem users have is with the transmit and receive
settings. The defaults fromCornell are trans=3D80, receive=3D300. Your=
28.8
can't handle that much data, so lower them both to about 25 and adjust from
there for best results.
>From: jfonhof@zeta.org.au (john fonhof)
>
>I use the enhance CU-Seeme 30 day demo version
>With the Trumpet winsock I have entered 127.0.0.1 as my ID
>If I enter any other ID I get " can't resolve host name"
>WWW, mail telnet all work fine with any ID I enter
>The gosts file is 127.0.0.1 jfonhof
>When I use the self test I will hear a click and my name comes up as a=
lurker

>When I connect to white Pine 192.233.34.5 I get the reply:
>
>0 General purpose Higher Bandwith (10/5)
>1 Modem users conference (5/3)
>2 Small conference test (3/2)
>
>No matter which ID I use I alway's get "no responce"
>When I connect to White Pine 192.233.34.20 I get=20
>0 Public access is restricted
>
>Question 1=20
>What is the (10/5) or what ever comes up mean

It means 10 senders and 5 lurkers are currently connected to this reflector.

>Question 2
>I must be on the right track or it would not come back with=20
>ID zero, one and two
>But why do I alway's get no responce
>If (10/5) means 10 connections available 5 in use I should get some=
responce

Settings, settings, settings...see previous question/answer.=20
>From: mitrakos@eng.auth.gr (Dimitris Mitrakos)
>It appears that when a cuseeme client is transmitting to a certain
>reflector, the connection client-reflector is lost when a third
>client requests connection to the first client. The two clients
>start communicating to each other, thus abandoning video feeding to
>the reflector, a situation rather unpleasant for other clients
>that were connected to the said reflector.
>
>Is there any means to avoid this from happening ?

Not with the Cornell version. The White Pine version allows you to ignore
other connections when you already have a connection in progress. Go get
the White Pine version, and tell your friends to, also.
>From: Rocky Gregory <rockyg@rainbow.burnside.powells.com>
>I'm sure that this pops up every day or so with new users, but can anyone=
=20
>E-mail a list of reflectors that people are commonly on? I tried all of=20
>those that came as defaults and there is never a response.

Check my web page or Eric Vanman's page for John Becker's latest and
greatest reflector lists in FIVE formats.
>From: Rich Hinz <rich@ncn.com>
>
>I'm triing to install CuSeeme on a pentium with win95, a 28.8 modem and a
>network card. I want CU to use the modem but on install it detects the net
>card. I tell it to do 28.8 modem and it acts like it takes the change but
>when I run the program I get a network error message. Where is this info
>kept for CU andhow can I change it?

I think you're going to have to disable TCP/IP on the network connection
before any other TCP applications will work with the modem. Email me more
specifics and I'll work with you on it.
>From: Andreas Pieper <andreas.pieper@student.uni-tuebingen.de>
>I`m user of a 486 DX4/120 dos-system with 12 MB RAM, a half-duplex
>Soundblaster-Clone and a second sound-card which is hard to configure in
>Windows, when I start Cu-Seeme with both cards the system crashs. I have a
>Zyxel U-1496E 14.4 Modem and the Version W0.84B7 for Windows.
>My problem is the sound. The version seems not to have an full duplex
>application and when I=B4m connected to myself the speech is very=
fragmental.
>Is there a possibility to change parts in the dll-datas. A friend of mine
>who has the Apple-version of Cu-Seeme is able to hear me but I can`t hear=
him.=20

Sound sucks at 14.4

>It is another problem that I=B4m not able to change the transmission=
settings.=20

Use NOTEPAD to edit the c:\windows\cuseeme.ini file. Find the [flow]
section and adjust the receive MAX to about 15 and MIN to 5 or 10.

>Do you need a video-card to recieve video-pictures from other users?

No. You only need a video capture card (or Quickcam) to SEND video.
>From: lucie podd <vtbused@together.net>
>
>1. Installed CU-SEE Me software on Windows 95 machine version wo.84
>2. Installed Connectrix camera/ Camera works fine with companion software
>Camera worked fine with with Cu-SEE Me software initially=20
> (we weren't connected to anyone, but we could see ourselves fine)
>3. Fifteen minutes later, snow filled the top part of our video window and
>we see a double image of ourselves in the bottom 1/3.
> (I think students changed a setting, somewhere but we have tried=20
> unsuccessfully to restore all possible settings) =20
>4. However, we do see participants clearly when we are connected to them.
>We tried the test site and a remote site.
>
>Any suggestions?

Under File/video setup click on Palette, and select 64 shades, then click on
OK. Now select 64 shades again, make sure it is set to 160X120 and click on
OK. If this doesn't work, do the same thing and select 16 shades in both
places.
I know these are the same old answers, but new people are subscribing and
asking the same old questions, so perhaps this will help. I am a PC user,
and know very little about the problems using CU-SeeMe on a Macintosh. I am
happy to help people via email as long as it is a Windows based question,
and I am given details on the PC configuration, modem speed, Cornell version
number or White Pines version number, etc. Feel free to email me if you
think I can help you AFTER CHECKING THESE OTHER RESOURCES.=20

CU-SeeME Related Links

Here are some links to other CU-SeeMe related pages:
http://www.realtime.com/~wcw - Undernet IRC #CU-SeeMe Info Page
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~streak/cuseeme.html - Streak's CU-Seeme Info Page
http://goliath.wpine.com/cu-seeme.html - White Pines CU-SeeMe Info Page
http://coyote.csusm.edu/cwis/winworld/winworld.html - CSUSM Windows World
http://www.indstate.edu/msattler/sci-tech/comp/CU-SeeMe/index.html - Michael
Sattler's CU-SeeMe Desktop Videoconferencing
http://www.umich.edu/~johnlaue/cuseeme/default.htm - John Lauer's CU-SeeMe
Event Guide
http://www.umich.edu/~johnlaue/cuseeme/people.htm - John Lauer's People=
Pages
ftp://ftp.eden.com/pub/cuseeme/ - Clips of cu-seeme events from Eden Matrix
http://geowww.geo.tcu.edu/faculty/busbey3.html - Busbey's CUSM Friends
http://www.hubble.net/ - Hubble's CU-SeeMe Page
http://desires.com/1.6/Toys/Cuseeme/cuseeme.html - CU-SeeMe E-Zine=20
http://magneto.csc.ncsu.edu/Multimedia/CU-SeeMe/cuseeme.html - CU-SeeMe at=
NCSU
http://gsn.org/gsn/cuseeme.schools.info.html - CU-SeeMe Schools
http://www.hiof.no/ludvigsen/webdoc/video.html - CU-SeeMe Video Conferencing
Experiments
http://www.eden.com/~jher/cuseeme/cuseeme.html - Jher's CU-SeeMe Page
http://btree.lerc.nasa.gov/NASA_TV/NASA_TV.html - NASA Television on=
CU-SeeMe
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~susanw/av/cucme.html - Susan Warshauer's English
Class CU-SeeMe Session
http://www.fortune.org/cuseemetoc.shtml - The "Un" Un-Official CU-SeeMe Home
Page
http://www.trey.com/cuseeme/ - The ICU
http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~vanman/reflector.html - The Reflector
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ne/neisius/csm.htm - Bill Neisius's GO-Cu-SeeMe-Go
Reflector page

For an illustrated CU-SeeMe Users Guide, go to:
http://www.realtime.com/~wcw/

There are two links for the Users Guide, one for a Windows version, and one
for a Macintosh version. Also there you will find:
John Becker's reflector lists in five formats:long Cornell PC, short Cornell
PC, WP Enhanced PC
format, Cornell's MAC format, and the WP Enhanced MAC format.
UCSC Windows Reflector program
Drivers for ComputerEyes RT board
Drivers for the Video Spigot board
Drivers for the Pro Movie Studio board

Drivers for the ComputerEyes 1024 board can be found at:
ftp://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/pub/video/PC.Misc/

Reflector programs for PC and MAC:
The latest Windows reflector program from the UCSC people can be found at
this URL:

ftp://ugate.ucsc.com/pub/

There is a 16 bit AND a 32 bit version in the file wreflect.zip. Do NOT get
the one named wreflect.zip.old as it is only the 16 bit version.

There is another reflector program for Windows NT at this URL:

http://tis_www.thepoint.net/staff/Arlie/Reflect-NT/

The release notes say:"It also runs on Win95, for now, but probably will not
always."

There is a reflector program for the MAC at this address:
ftp://yavin.mit.edu/Pub/cuseeme/

There is a searchable archive of the messages on this mailing list at this
address:
http://www.jungle.com/CU-SeeMe/all_archives.html

Q:How do I fix "minimum receive rate is too high, set to 10 or less"
A:If you can transmit, click the bottom right button on your local window,
click on the arrow to the right of "transmission" and select "receive", then
adjust your minimum receive rate there. If you can not transmit, edit the
cuseeme.ini file with notepad and find the [Flow Control] section, and
change the MinRecvCap=3D line to 10

Q:I am having trouble connecting to another user with Cu-seeme. I got the
hosts error message. I am a dial up internet user, using win95 with 28800
modem. I would like to know if I have to create a "hosts" file, and where
should I have this file located. Also, do I need a fixed IP address to use
Cu-seeme? what if I got different IP address every time I log on.
A:The CU-SeeMe help file explains the answer to this in detail. Another fix
for this is to get the "MAKEHOST" program from my web page (Thanks and a
tip'o the hat to Fred Salerno for this helpful program) and let it create
the file for you.

Q:I have 486 compaq laptop running windows3.1. When I try and use Cu-seeme,
it connect okay but only a few pixels (blocks) fill in the small windows and
nothing else really happens. I've got a 28.8 pcmia modem and using Netcom as
a provider who is suppose to be Cu-seeme compatible. Any help or advice
would be appreciated.
A:The most common problems modem users have is with the transmit and receive
settings. The defaults fromCornell are trans=3D80, receive=3D300. Your=
28.8
can't handle that much data, so lower them both to about 25 and adjust from
there for best results.

Q:I downloaded the file for the first time today (4 Feb 96), and as soon as
I opened it it told me that it couldn't find WINSOCK.DLL!!
A:make sure that winsock.dll is in the windows\system directory, in the same
directory as TCPMAN.EXE, or is in the DOS path. Also, if you are using
Win95, it sometimes renames your winsock.dll file to winsock.old

Q:Has anyone had success with the QuickCam and Win95? I'm running 0.85b7
and when I run the program my local window display many raster lines -
garbage really - that's runs off the bottom. It appears to continue running
to infinity.
A:Straight from the FAQ.TXT file:
Here are the steps to take to install a QuickCam with Window '95

1) Run the QuickCam installer.

2) Make sure the capture driver, called QUICKCAM.DRV, is in the
/WINDOWS/SYSTEM directory.

3) Check the file SYSTEM.INI (in the /WINDOWS directory) and make sure
there's an entry in the [drivers] section for msvideo like this:

msvideo=3Dquickcam.drv

If you've had another capture driver installed you might see another
driver listed as msvideo and another entry, msvideo1=3Dquickcam.drv. In
this case you should switch the quickcam to be msvideo and the other
driver to be msvideo1.

4) Use the Win'95 Control Panel for Multimedia. On the 'Advanced' section,
double click on the Video Capture Devices icon. You should see an
entry for QuickCam. Double click on the icon for QuickCam. Make sure
the "Use the video capture device" choice is selected.

5) Restart Win'95.

Q:I have just configured the latest "CUSeeme" downloaded from Cornell on a
486DX4/100 20MB ram w/ Connectix QuickCam, Windows95 (nonbeta release) and a
USRobotics 28800 pcmcia modem. My problem is... when I launch CUSeeme the
Video and Audio windows appear, but not the tool bar with the video and
audio setups, connect, etc... Any suggestions?
A:If it is on the win95 task bar, RIGHT mouse click it on the task bar, then
LEFT click on MOVE. Using the CURSOR KEYS, move UP and LEFT until the
wire-frame is visible, then hit ENTER to drop it there. This happens ONLY
when you exit cu-seeme with a window MINIMIZED.

Q:Does CU-SeeMe work with the Snappy video Frame Grabber manufactured by
Play, Inc for Windows based PC computers?
A:No, it doesn't, but you can use it with CU-Doodle, from Bill Neisius, to
bring a picture into CU. I believe you can get CU-Doodle from this address:=
=20
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ne/neisius/

Q:I've just downloaded CU-SeeMe. Can I just use it for voice communications
because I do not have the video capturing facility at the moment. I'm
thinking of investing on the video but not in the near future.
A:Yes, you can use the audio features without sending video. The problem
right now is that you can only change the receive cap setting from the local
video window, which you won't have. Use notepad to edit the cuseeme.ini
file located in your windows directory. Find the [flow control] section and
change the MaxRecvCap=3D line to match the speed of your modem.

Q:Where can I find a reflector list?
A:My web page (listed below) has a "finger" link to John Becker's MAC and PC
lists. There is also a page there with links to lots of other CU-SeeMe
related sites, including Michael Sattler's page, which also has a reflector
list.

Q:I can only receive right now, as I don't have a camera yet. Does this go
against the "etiquette" (spelling) of using the CU-SeeMe program if you can
see them, but they can't see you? It almost amounts to......well.......
spying, doesn't it?