Re:Re: Ethernet connection.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sat, 11 May 1996 11:44:03 -0500

>At 05:00 PM 5/8/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>I am a new user to CU-SEEME. I recently attended a conference that
>>demonstrated CU-SEEME over a 100MB/sec ethernet connection. I was
>>very impressed.
>>
>>Now for my situation, I am testing CU-SEEME over a 10MB/sec ethernet
>>LAN. I have two PC's connecting to each other over this LAN. The video
>>is acceptable (4-10 fps) but the audio is terrible. If I freeze video then
>>the audio is acceptable. What can I expect over a 10mb/sec connection?
>>I have read a lot of messages that deal with a 28.8 modem and it is my
>>impression that we should be getting a better response from our PC's.
>>
>>PS. is there a way to limit the number of frames per second? I tried to
>>use the local video window but it did not work. When I increased the
>>Max KBS I noticed an increase in frames transmitted and little effect on
>>audio.
>

>Hello,
>
>Yes my observations are similar. At 10Base-T speed the audio is still a
>severe problem in CU. I am glad to hear that at 100Base-T that the audio
>impressed you. That is encouraging.
>
>I really don't think you should have to freeze video on a 10meg connection
>to get decent audio. Are you using Enhanced CU? I am told that there are
>improvements there, but, frankly, I have no direct evidence of this (I've
>used both the Cornell and White Pine version). In general audio has been a
>disaster. I sat at the end of a T1-T1-ISDN conference (at the ISDN end!) the
>other day and we had to revert to Internet Phone to get our audio up to an
>acceptable level.
>
>I trust White Pine will address the audio problem real-soon-now. With the
>emergeance of telephony products such as Internet Phone and Web Talk,
>people's expectations of audio quality has increased markedly of late.
>

>Cheers,
>Dennis

If you are on an ethernet network and are connecting to someone else on the
same segment, you should try adjusting your settings up to about 300k
receive max and 80k transmit max. At this higher speed, you could use the
32k audio codec and possibly get much better results. Also keep in mind
that the speed of the CPU and the type of sound card could be a contributing
factor in the poor audio quality.

As far as the video goes, on ethernet to ethernet connections, you should be
able to get up to 30 frames per second EASILY. I have actually done this at
my office. I could watch the other guy typing, and could almost READ his
chat that way, in addition to seeing the text in the chat window. These
speeds would be perfect even for fast fingerspelling (sign language).

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe
PC only, no MAC questions, please.