Re: Cuseeme, Freevue, Videophone and Hi Tech

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sun, 12 May 1996 21:03:33 -0500

>From: Robert Hessler <hessler@nic.com>
>At 04:20 PM 5/10/96 -0700, Dennis J. Streveler wrote:
>
>>I've been doing some experimenting with FreeVue too. There are two concepts
>>there that I think are interesting in that product:
>
>Where would I locate a copy of FreeVue?

http://www.freevue.com

I just tried it out. I had trouble getting it to use my Quickcam driver
instead of CUDOODLE or SCRNCAP or the Captivator card driver. I had to
comment all three of those out of system.ini for it to work. Then it gave
me a negative image from the quickcam. I ran QuickMovie and adjusted the
brightness and such, closed that program, then restarted Freevue, and the
negative image was gone. I adjusted the camera again from within Freevue,
and it went negative again.

After doing the Quickmovie thing to fix it again, I finally got to see
someone else with Freevue, and I must admit that I like the "interlaced" way
they fill the picture in (as Dennis Streveler put it) compared to the
confetti screens you get with CU-SeeMe. I don't think Freevue is as mature
a program, as far as features like CU-SeeMe has, but it could have some
interesting uses for small groups.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe