CU vs. FreeVue

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Mon, 13 May 1996 16:46:14 -0700

At 08:16 AM 5/13/96 -0700, Bill Neisius wrote:
>At 12:03 AM 5/13/96 EDT, you wrote:
>>Freevue can be downloaded from http://www.freevue.com - about 400k. It is a
>>product worth checking out although at 288 I still have very impoverished
>>connections re. video and audio. Plus although I am not a prude freevue
>>does seem to attract a lot of exhibitionists/voyeurs if you get my drift.
>
>I find that FreeVue has much better video than CUSeeMe. With FreeVue I can
>get [slow] video updates from 5 people at the same time at 28.8 kbps...
>compared to almost non-existant updates using any of the CUSeeMe products.
>I've also seen acceptable video from people running as slow as 14.4 kbps...
>Plus, I can use the Chat Window in FreeVue; something that has never worked
>for me under CUSeeMe.
>
>The CU-Doodle program has been updated to work with the 64-grays required
>by FreeVue. Version 0.7:
>
> ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ne/neisius/cudoodle.zip
>
>I've also written a small dialer to use with FreeVue, to replace the use
>of a web browser to locate callers. Still sort of in beta test:
>
> ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ne/neisius/test/freedial.exe
>
>Yes, the exhibitionists/voyeurs on FreeVue are a major problem lately...
>just reading through the user list is enough to keep most people away.
>There is a solution to that however; something I'm testing right now.
>FreeList (also in the test directory), allows access to multiple, alternate
>user lists. The lists can either be open, or closed (requiring an access
>password by email). All that is required to host a list is an http server,
>capable of running a C-shell CGI script (Sys5 preferred)... Obviously, I
>can't mention the address of the lists I'm using for testing...
>
>Also noticed a difference in what people expect from CUSeeMe vs FreeVue.
>In CUSeeMe, it's common to have a reflector with a dozen people connected,
>all just staring at each other... seems to be more interaction on FreeVue.
>

>Bill Neisius
>neisius@netcom.com

Hi Bill,

You make a very good point. Yes, there does appear to be more "interaction"
among the FreeVue crowd. So, if social interaction is your goal, then
FreeVue's server which allows you to locate people of your choosing seems to
be an attractive alternative to CU.

However, I think what we are overlooking here are the "hard" applications of
products of this genre. I think I can identify at least five market segments
(I won't bore you with the list here) whose needs for functionality vary
quite considerably.

For me, having controlled software development efforts which were farflung
(to say the least!) I just did not want to spend my life at 30,000 feet.
Thus I wanted to supplement regular visits with whatever communications
tools I could find. That's how I began this whole odyssey with CU...

Anyway thanks for the comments! And thanks for the update to CUDoodle.

Regards,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net
"Future Technologies in Medicine" +------------------------------
"International Software Development | 415 239-1441
Methodologies" | 415 469-9476 fax
"Human-Computer Interface Design +------------------------------
for Casual Users" | 127 Lake Merced Hill