Re:CU-SeeMe Questions

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Wed, 15 May 1996 23:10:32 -0500

I got an error from listproc when I first sent this, so please excuse me if
you get this twice:

>From: Keith Blair <thecrow@netcom.com>
>Subject: CU-SeeMe Questions
>
>***** HELP NEEDED! *****
>
>Hello, I've been having a few CU-SeeMe problems that I was hoping someone
>might be able to help me with.
>
>I've got the Enhanced CU-SeeMe in demo mode right now, and have a 28.8k
>modem. I dial up into a PPP account, or a shell account using SLiRP -
>depending on which I connect to first.. I have my receive in CU-SeeMe set
>for MIN: 1 MAX: 28 and my transmit is set for MIN: 1 MAX: 18 for the video
>stuff. The audio, I don't use. I've really got two problems..
>
>1. A *lot* of times, I'll type in the IP of a reflector to connect to, and
>I'll get the "Contacted" message, and then on those that have various
>conferences, I'll get the conference menu to choose which one I want, and
>then it will say "Connecting to..". Then it just sits there. Finally, it
>times out and gives me the "No response from.." message. Now, the strange
>thing is, the people that are ON that reflector see a window pop up for me
>as if I was connected. Nothing comes across the video (just blank gray
>screen), and I never see anything except the "Connecting to.." message.
>Also, if I have the Chat window open, and type, the people on the reflector
>can see my messages. But I can't see them. This happens alot. I've tried
>lowering my send rate as low as 5 and that didn't help. I've also changed my
>conference setting to only allow 1 window open, and I've also tried
>connecting with no video sending, and with no video receiving. I've also
>tried restarting CU-SeeMe, and even restarting my PC. Doesn't really help.
>
>2. Once, I was using CU-SeeMe, and could see everyone, and everyone could
>see me, and I could see everything that everyone typed in the Chat window,
>and I could see what I typed in the Chat window, but nobody else could see
>what I was typing into the Chat window. They could see what I typed into my
>video window however. Thinking this was just a problem with this particular
>reflector, I went to 2 others. Same problem.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing either of the above?
>Here's more detailed info on my system:
>
>QuickCam (B&W) For PC/Windows
>486/100 w/32mb RAM
>1024x768 w/65k colors display
>28.8k modem
>Windows95
>CU-SeeMe Enhanced
>
>Thanks in advance!

>Keith Blair thecrow@netcom.com
>Creative Concepts crtvecon@concentric.net
>http://www.concentric.net/~crtvecom/
>PGP ID: 54B854A5 Fingerprint: 729F7679841ED86980AD2D73CCD94ADE
>PGP Key: http://netmar.com/~rust-art/creative/pgp-nfo.htm

Settings, settings, settings. MOST of these types of problems are due to
incorrect communication settings. You didn't tell us what your trans/rec
settings are, but I bet they need to be brought down some. For a 28.8 modem
set them both to 28 max, and then connect and see if this doesn't help.

Also, do NOT use SLIRP unless you really know what you are doing. Slirp
usually does not work for CU unless you have told it to redirect the data
back to you (I forget how this is done, but there is a SLIRP FAQ web page
out there somewhere).

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe