Re: +++CUdoodle-dilemma+++

Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Wed, 15 May 1996 16:09:56 -0500

CU-SeeMe Consortium <cu-seeme-l@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: US ROBOTICS MODEMS & CuSeeme WARNING!!!

George wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 1996 00:15:15 +0000, you wrote:
>

> >>1. There most definitely is a "new" V34 USR Sportster which represents
> >> a total, radical redesign over those V34 Sportsters which were the
> >> subject of the rave reviews in the magazines last year.
> >>
> >>2. This "new" V34 Sportster is currently in distribution with firmware
> >> eprom dates of:
> >> 09-19-95
> >> 10-13-95
> >> 10-18-95
> >> 01-11-96
> >> All of which have been observed to contain operational anomalies in
> >> various stages of evolution. The major bugs in 09-19, 10-13 and
> >> 10-18 firmware manifest themselves as interoperability and
> >> connectivity problems, ie, inability to connect without placing
> >> multiple attempts and a propensity to abort that connection once
> >> made. They also have been observed to simply freeze up when trans-
> >> mitting data. The freeze-up problem continues in 01-11-96 firmware.
> >>

> Even though its serial # labels him as likely to be troublesome, I am
> happy to report that I have NO connectivity or freeze up problems with
> the new USR Sportster 28.8kbps model v.34I that I bought 10 days ago.
>
> George
> Nickname: argus1000
> IP: 205.206.94.116

Greetings, "George":
Even though I can agree with your point, I must also agree with the many others
who are experiencing "quality-related" problems with the US Robotics 28.8 modems.
I have the 33.6 firmware upgrade chip and have (thankfully) NOT had any problems
or issues to adversely affect my modem connections. I have been VERY lucky with
MY modem, so far!!!

CU-SeeMe:
I would hope that anyone having problems with their USR modems, will "CC" the
USR support staff, as well!

US Robotics Customer Support
mailto:support@usr.com

US Robotics:
I would hope this is received well, and understood as a "cry for help" from
your customers!!!

Thank you for your time,

PHONE: (JOB) HUN-TING "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"