Re: Re[2]: Workable videoconferencing connections?

James Crittenden (jamesc3@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 17 May 1996 07:23:05 -0700

_________________________________
>Subject: Re: Workable videoconferencing connections?
>Author: fswick@mail.univnorthco.edu at INTERNET-HUB
>Date: 5/16/96 2:13 PM
>

>On 16 May 96 at 8:25, Dennis J. Streveler wrote:
>
>At 11:11 PM 5/15/96 -0400, David I. Sommers, Ph.D. wrote:
>>None of the products out there are easy and relaible enough yet for
>>the average 288 dial-up user to make workable videoconferencing
>>connections. PLEASE someone tell me I'm wrong.
>>
>>David Sommers
>
>and
>
>>Sorry, IMHO, your statement is correct as it stands. Additionally, I
>>would say it is also true, at this time, for ISDN connections, as
>>well.
>>
>>Dave in Phoenix
>
>I have to disagree on the ISDN connections, a couple of weeks ago I
>was in a video conference that was using ISDN a pictel cameras and I
>was impressed, video was at 15 fps and audio was great, the only draw
>back was the cost (>20k US$). So it is do able, but only on big
>budget.
>
>--Forrest
>
>Forrest H. Swick Internet: fswick@coba1.univnorthco.edu
>Director of Computing Telephone: (303) 351-1227
>University of Northern Colorado Fax: (303) 351-2500
>College of Business Administration
>Greeley, Colorado 80639 USA
>http://www.coba.univnorthco.edu
>

>Dear Forrest:

I think I can help you with this. I have the connectix Videophone the
additional software that comes with the connectix quick cam. I only used it
in two ways. Phone to phone, (modem to modem) and tcp/ip. My bro-in Law
both have it and once we upgrade on the web we got half way creditable audio
but the visusal on a gray scale was great!! The problem that I had with the
software is that Connectxi does not say anything when you buy the cam w/the
software that they are gearing the package to isdn high speed access. The
box indicates that tcp/ip support and that is not really the case unless
upgrade.

At this point for me Freevue may be the way to go. I like ECU and I hope
that the future upgrades will be better but Freevue you have clear video and
audio for most.

Hope this helps.

James