Re: Parallel IRQs

Daniel W. Erskine (derskine@apci.net)
Sat, 18 May 1996 11:43:35 -0500

SteveSmith@aol.com wrote:
> Daniel:
> I have never seen LPT ports (ECP/EPP or otherwise) that use non-standard
> IRQs. LPT1: is IRQ 7 & LPT2: is IRQ 5. USUALLY COM1: & COM3: use IRQ 4 and
> COM2: and COM4: use IRQ 3. I usually try to set IRQs as high as possible for
> extra boards like NICs & Sound Cards. IRQs 10, 11, 12 & 15 are usually
> available. Keep in mind that sometimes IRQs can be shared: SoundBlaster
> cards can share an interrupt with a printer. Some IRQs should never be
> shared: a mouse and a modem. Try to avoid buying cards that are "resource
> hogs": Diamond sound cards use up 2 or 3 interrupts. Use PCI cards and
> Plug-&-Play boards whenever possible - IRQs are either not required or
> handled automatically. Hope this is helpfull. Sometime you just have to
> play with it.
>
> Steve Smith, CNE
> Byte One, Inc.
>
> P.S. How's the job hunting going? Have you tried searching the Internet?

Greetings:
Well, I've found a "standard" bi-directional I/O parallel port card that will
support high IRQs. It's made by the SIIG company. Problem is that they don't
have "IEEE 1284"-compliant (EPP/ECP) parallel port cards that support IRQs other
than #5 and #7, though they are looking into producing one in the future (sigh)!

Well, back to thee 'ole "drawing (white) board",

PHONE: (JOB) HUN-TING "http://www.apci.net/~derskine"