Re: Sportser modems

ferret@ovnet.com
Sun, 19 May 1996 02:11:12 +0000

Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 19:31:47 GMT
From: gpl@henry.net (George)
To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Sportser modems

On Sat, 18 May 1996 14:18:58 -0500, you wrote:

> Isn't there some other way for people to test their sportsers?
>Hasn't the modem maker suggested something? No? I didn't think so....
>
>-Elliot

To test your Sportster, as well as to upgrade, you have to phone the
US ROBOTICS BBS .... (847) 982-5092 (not the WWW Site). Go in the
Main Menu. Follow the instructions from there on.

You can test your modem directly online and download the results. You
can also download or order an upgrade to 33.6kbps, if you're eligible
(won't do you any good, however, if your ISP doesn't support it)

You can also download a HELP file (named "sphshelp.zip") containing
more info.

If your sportster has pauses, and a buggy chip,ect, calling their
bbs, it will not tell you if your sportster has the spiraling death
problem, nor will it tell you if you have the buggy defective
problems that alot of people have noticed while using the sportster
33,6.

Spiraling death problem occurs in the regular 28,8 sportsters where
they keep retraining down to as lower speed, and keep getting lower,
but don't come back up when line conditions improve

George
Nickname: argus1000
IP: 205.206.94.116