Re:Cuseeme Execution Problem

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Sun, 19 May 1996 15:23:39 -0500

>From: Joseph Mattingly <jmattin@ix.netcom.com>
>To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
>Subject: Cuseeme Execution Problem
>
>I sent the following Email(below) to a tech support center outlining my
difficulties
>getting Cuseeme to run properly.
>I'm stumped. I've read your troubleshooting guide and and various nesws
group. Called
>Netcom. I really don't know where to turn. I was hoping you may have run
into this
>problem before? Can you lend a hand? I'd like to get this running before
the turn of the
>century! I now understand that my internet service provider(Netcom) assigns
me a IP
>Number and name for each session. After signing on I obtain that
information and then
>edit my hosts file. I place the hosts file in C:\windows\system. I still
receive error
>messages.
>Sometimes I do not, but whether I receive error messages or not, the
program will
>minimize and stay that way. I can not maximize or restore. All I can do is
close the
>program.
>

>Below is the Email I sent previously:
>
>I'm having difficulty getting Cuseeme to run. I'm using Windows 95. I
connect to the
>Internet using Netcom. I use netscape 2.0 for a browser. I use TCP/IP
winsock from
>windows 95. when I connect to the designated location,CUseeme runs(I've already
>configured it as a helper application. Then it gives me the following error
message:

> Initopenrequest()gethostbyname()error 11004
>
>So I continue and click on Ok. Next error message is:
>
> error using specified IP address, hostname or alias
>
>So I continue and click on Ok.
>The program then minimizes(on windows task bar), but I cannot restore it.
It will allow
>me to close it but nothing else.
>
>I've read about the host name error. Where should I get this information?
Am I to use
>Netcom's IP address. I tried that but did not seem to work. I'm sort of
fuzzy on who my
>host is. Do I need to have a permanent IP address or do I use netcom's(I've now
>understand they provide me one,albeit a different one each time I log on)?
Is an IP
>address
>the same as DNS address? HELP

If you are using NETCOM's dialer, then I don't think the c:\windows\system
directory is the right place for the hosts file, tho I could be wrong. If
winsock.dll is there, then that's the place for HOSTS. If winsock.dll is in
your NETCOM directory, then move HOSTS to that dir.

Since you are using Windows 95, I would suggest that you use the built in
Dial up networking (DUP) to call into NETCOM. If you did this, then the
c:\windows\system directory would be the right place for HOSTS.

Also, I believe that NETCOM has all of their IP addresses in their DNS, so
if you do NOT have NETCOM's DNS IP entered in the DNS section of your
dialer, then that is what is causing the gethostbyname() error. Enter the
DNS IP and dial back in, and you shouldn't need a HOSTS file at all.

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Squeek on Undernet IRC
Channel Manager #CU-SeeMe
PC only, no MAC questions, please.