Re: wire tapping

Keith Blair (thecrow@netcom.com)
Mon, 20 May 1996 11:38:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 20 May 1996, George wrote:

> Keith Blair <thecrow@netcom.com> wrote:
>
> On public reflectors, for example, there could be from 5 to 15
> anonymous lurkers at any one time. Those are listening in and anybody
> who speaks is aware of and accepts that. In public meetings like
> this, IMO, there is no such thing as copyright. In town hall

I agree. Public refs are public - but I guess what bothers me, is where
does the line get drawn? If someone states midway through a meeting
something "off the record" it is just that. If someone's recording a ref,
who's to make them go "off the record"?

> If you want privacy, it seems to me you go to a private reflector,
> where you are invited and can talk more freely with a group of
> acquaintances/friends, or just go directly one-on-one.

It'd be nicer to know that there's trust amongst people and that you
could safely meet new people without ever word being recorded.. After
all, I think everyone's sick of "big brother" both in the government and
at the workplace.