Re: AOL & cuseeme

Keith Blair (thecrow@netcom.com)
Tue, 21 May 1996 12:52:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 21 May 1996, Thomas Landmann wrote:

> At 10:51 AM 5/21/96 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >First they kill the speed of the web, flood USENET with spam, invent the
> >dreaded "Me Too!" threads from hell, etc.. Now they're going to kill the
> >video conferencing part of it as well.. <Sigh> Wonder how hard it'll be
> >to get on refs once AOL users can use them.. And then Compuserve users..
> >Then GNN users..
> >
> >Enjoy em' while you can..
>
> Don't blame the AOL users... They may have a high percentage of clueless
> newbie users, but Internet access and use is going to continue to expand
> with or without them.

Yes, but considering how many people they bring, it wouldn't be quite as
fast.. :) Maybe we'll just get lucky, and they won't be using CU-SeeMe
reflectors to do their stuff. I realize that it wouldn't be as good for
White Pine if AOL didn't use their software, but we can hope anyway. :)

> It would be more constructive to discuss how the public reflector
> infrastructure can better accommodate more users. More reflectors, linked
> together into wider area conferences might be one solution.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about it. Hopefully fiber will be the
next standard.. :)

> Private reflectors won't be impacted much, so expect to see more private
> refs than ever.

That's what I was thinking.. Either that, or expect to see more "pay"
reflectors..

Keith Blair thecrow@netcom.com
http://www.concentric.net/~crtvecon/ crtvecon@concentric.net