RE: cu-seeme & freevue in background

John W. Osborne (josborne@magna.com.au)
Wed, 22 May 1996 06:46:13 +-1000

Dave...

CuSeeMe will drive your system to 100% busy even if CuSeeMe isn't
doing anything useful at the time, i.e., you just start it up without being
connected to a ref or anything. I don't know why it coded this way but
it appears that it is constantly polling for something/some event when
Windows programs -ought- to just wait on an event that they are interested
in and quietly sit in the background until the event is delivered.

You can ameliorate the situation somewhat by freezing your local video.

You say you are running W95 so you can see this for yourself by
running SYSMON (which every 95 owner has).

John

----------
From: David Benjamin[SMTP:dbjag@aolnorth.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 22 May 1996 1:22
To: CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu
Subject: cu-seeme & freevue in background

Can anyone explain why Cu-SeeMe dogs my machine out, while Freevue
doesn't appear to slow my machine much at all?

When I run Cornell Cu-SeeMe or White Pine Cu-SeeMe on my machine,
I find that all other work is clogged. Prompts and context switches
are slow, typing rates reduced, compiles lag. The machine is seriously
loaded by the effort of just connecting to a reflector, even with no
other participants.

I assumed this was just inherent with the nature of videoconf software
until I tried out Freevue and found that it ran great in the background
with no detectable machine loading, even with several participants.

I have not checked out how Cinecom or VDOphone do on machine loading yet.

I would prefer to use Cu-SeeMe over Freevue because a local server is
more secure and, well, it gets a bit tiring having naked hairy men
continually popping up in the middle of design discussions...

Is there some way of configur CuSeeMe to make it as "light" as FreeVue?

Here are my particulars:

apps: Cornell Cu-SeeMe WO.84, White Pine Cu-SeeMe 2.01, FreeVue 1.04
os: MS Windows 95
hw: Pentium, 90Mhz, 32Mb RAM, Connectix QuickCam, connect via LAN & dialup

Any helpful discussion appreciated!

Dave Benjamin
dbjag@aolnorth.com