Re: AOL & cuseeme

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Tue, 21 May 1996 14:50:03 -0700

At 10:51 AM 5/21/96 -0700, Keith Blair wrote:
>On Tue, 21 May 1996 us031794@interramp.com wrote:
>
>> **Connectix and America Online** have announced a joint project to
>> bring rudimentary videoconferencing to AOL users. AOL will begin
>> selling the Connectix Color QuickCam (now available for both
>> Macintosh and Windows) in its online store, and Connectix will
>> implement technology to allow AOL users to exchange still images
>> and even video while communicating online. Software to enable
>> these features is expected later this year. [MHA]
>
>First they kill the speed of the web, flood USENET with spam, invent the
>dreaded "Me Too!" threads from hell, etc.. Now they're going to kill the
>video conferencing part of it as well.. <Sigh> Wonder how hard it'll be
>to get on refs once AOL users can use them.. And then Compuserve users..
>Then GNN users..
>
>Enjoy em' while you can..

>Keith Blair thecrow@netcom.com
>http://www.concentric.net/~crtvecon/ crtvecon@concentric.net
>PGP ID: 54B854A5 Fingerprint: 729F7679841ED86980AD2D73CCD94ADE
>PGP Key: http://www.concentric.net/~crtvecon/pgp-nfo.htm

Hello Keith,

I think it is absolutely great that AOL jumps on the bandwagon. This means
more users, more publicity and more support for us VC'ers. (And I assume
MORE reflectors!)

The press release doesn't mention which software will be used by AOL users.
I'd like to think it is ECU, but the prese release is surprisingly vague
about this. Since Connectix has a competing application, called Videophone,
we will have to sit and wait for more information. I have got to assume that
there is a major alliance in the works, very likely including ECU, as this
is an obvious next area for the "content providers" and the "web browsers"
to provide. Last month it was audio (CoolTalk built into Netscape Navigator,
Internet Phone special on CompuServe), next month it will surely be video.

Also, in the press release it mentions a Color QuickCam for Windows. I just
checked Connectix's home page today and still no mention of the Windows model.

Regards,
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645
| CUSeeMe: strev.mobius.net
"Future Technologies in Medicine" | web: www.usr.mobius.net/strev
"International Software Development | 415 239-1441
Methodologies" | 415 469-9476 fax
"Human-Computer Interface Design | 127 Lake Merced Hill
for Casual Users" | San Francisco CA 94132 USA