Re: Problem w/ reflector demo

Jonathan Day (Jonathan.Day@umist.ac.uk)
Wed, 22 May 1996 19:45:11 +0000

Michael T. Davis wrote:
> That was my conclusion, too. Unfortunately, neither ps nor netstat
> provide any clue as to what is using the port. There is not another reflector
> running.

There are a number of ways of doing this, depending on what sort of system you're using.

First, try telnetting to that port on your machine. That's usually a good indicator as to
whether there's anything active on it.

Second, check the /etc/services, see if anything wants to try to use that port.

Third, netstat -n should tell you if anything is currently using that port.

Lastly, sweep your system with the satan security scanner and see what exactly is going
on.

(Note, these /should/ tell you what's going on. In reality, they'll only tell you what
they feel like letting you know. The Unix OS is an X-File in its own right.)