RE: "Salt & Pepper Sparkle" on the QuickCAM?

Thomas R. Curtola (tcurtola@uniserve.com)
Tue, 28 May 1996 10:09:56 -0700

At 10:10 PM 5/22/96 -0600, you wrote:
>LL wrote:
>> I have a problem that I hope somebody will be able to help me with. First my
>> hardware and OS. I am using on this machine windows 95, 486DX-2 66 16
meg Ram,
>> Diamond Video (1meg) and using the QuickCam. The trouble is "Sparkle", Yes
>> Sparkle, I get sparkle in my video that I send and locally. It appears to
be at
>> the pixel level, the sparkle is light on dark and dark on light giving a salt
>> and pepper appearance to the video. Has anyone had that problem, can anyone
>> help me???
>>
>> Thanks in advance..
>> LL

Yes, I've experienced that phenomenon also. I cleared up the "sparkle" effect by adjusting the contrast, brightness and the white balance. I noticed that the white balance is the most critical here. My default white balance is around 144, but I find if I increase it to around 160-163 when lots of daylight is present, it will give a good image. During the darker evenings, I lower the white balance to around 155. Of course every camera will be calibrated differently.

Hope this helps.