Re: powerbook 520c and audio problems

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Wed, 29 May 1996 12:40:15 -0700

At 12:35 PM 5/29/96 +0100, you wrote:
>i'm new to the list and i'm sure this has been asked before. i'm trying
>to run cuseeme sessions on a mac powerbook 520c. i'm running cuseeme .83b3
>on the powerbook which is on system 7.5. i havfe a connectix cam and am
>using an external mac mic. the video runs fine, but often the audio
>crashes the machine. what am i doing wrong/ what do i need to do right?
>
>also are there any other suggestions about running cuseeme with a powerbook
>that i need to be aware of?
>
>your help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have run CU .83b3 on a PB540 without any trouble. I suspect you have
memory problems. Try increasing the memory partition to at least 5000 KB (I
don't believe the suggested size of 3500 is big enough).

If that doesn't work, and you suspect it is definitely a problem with audio
(the chat window works fine, and everything else is fine, then you probably
have an INIT conflict. Do you have any other INITs in your system which are
sound related? It/they might be in conflict.

I haven't tried the ECU beta on the PB yet, have you? I'd like to compare
notes about it if you have.

Also, note that you MUST use the Mac's external mic with CU and ECU. The
built-in mic in the QuickCam is not recognized. This could be your problem.
Check to see that the init named ~QuickCamMic is disabled. This might do the
trick.

Hope this helps.
Dennis

Systems Consultant | CIS: 71036,1645