Re: Lost Packets

Dennis J. Streveler (strev@mobius.net)
Thu, 30 May 1996 09:19:53 -0700

At 10:58 PM 5/29/96 -0700, JayHill wrote:
>jim wrote:
>>

>> reflectors at varying times of day. When I check the packet loss
>> window on various senders I'm frequently seeing packet losses of 60%,
>> sometimes more.
>
>seems like most of the loss is from the users sending at too high a
>rate , I run my MAX send at about 5-8 kbs on reflectors
>as thats about all most ISP can pass back too the users ( NETCOM,aol
>etc..)

Jim, I'm not sure I agree with you on this. And if it were true, reflectors
should be self-regulating so it cuts back on the packets which it accepts,
or automatically tunes up the clients so that they won't overrun the reflector.

> Color doesn't work at all well with half
>> the packets lost!
>
>I think also there are alot of 'no-cams' out there running the color
>software , you see there blue window but there is never any video.

I believe CUSeeMe should tell you what is going on. You really can never
tell (except by long observation) whether a camera is really on, whether a
camera is paused/stopped, etc. Since the reflector obviously knows whether
it has received any video packets from a particular participant, it should
more fully pass this information on to the other participants than CU or ECU
(PC or Mac) currently does.

>hope this color quickcam works...
>:)

Regards,