Re: Not very fast

Ulrich Kliegis (Ulrich.Kliegis@kiel.netsurf.de)
Mon, 5 May 1997 19:03:44 +0100

> Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 08:15:07 -0700
> From: Larry Lund <lundlarr@budget.net>
> To: <CU-SEEME-L@cornell.edu>
> Subject: Not very fast

> I just upgraded from a 486 to a 166 MHz. One of the reasons I did
> this is because the camera was so slow I use the connectix. I
> thought the processor speed up would be a big help. Actually I see
> no difference at all the video is still slow and jerky. Is there
> something I need to set to speed it up where I don't get streaking
> jerky slow video?
>
> Thanks

In this case, neither your computer nor your connect speed are the
bottle neck, but the quickcam. The lower the light that illuminates
your scene, the longer it takes to accumulate enough charge on the
CCD - elements to form an image. This is independent of your CPU
performance. At low light levels, it can take several seconds per
frame.

Try to crank up your light, and you will see a difference.

Ulli

Don't flame me, I'm only the keyboard player...

Ulrich.Kliegis@kiel.netsurf.de
http://kiel.netsurf.de/homes/Ulrich.Kliegis/Welcome.html
Business:
http://home.t-online.de/home/nordcom

Ulrich G. Kliegis Phone: +49 431 331144 Fax: +49 431 331146