Re: REMOTE MONITORING

Bill Woodland (wcw@bga.com)
Mon, 5 May 1997 16:57:22 -0500

At 01:42 PM 5/5/97 -0400, Michael Kankiewicz wrote:

>On Mon, 5 May 1997, Dr Pepper wrote:
>
>> Mike (T.Michael) Smith wrote:
>> >=20
>> > The main problem I'm trying to overcome relates to "extension
cords." I
>> > know Radio Shack sells 6-foot cords for QuickCams, and I guess I could=
hook
>> > up 3 or 4 to get the 20 feet or so extension I need. But then, would I=
lose
>> > clarity? Anyone know if there is a 20-foot cord made for QuickCam?=
(I've
>> > written to Connectix a little over a week ago on this, but have yet to
>> > receive any answer.)
>

>I don't have my manual with me, but I do believe there is a limit - and
>quite short. I could be wrong.
>
> Michael

This limit has nothing to do with the Qcuickam itself, but have to do with
the parallel port in the PC. Specs on a standard "Centronics parallel port"
is 17 feet max. You can try to push it farther, like 25 feet, but once you
pass the specs limit, you're on your own. FYI I have pushed a serial port
over 1000 feet with no problem, even tho the specs on a SERIAL port say 300
feet max.

As far as the cable goes, Call Connectix's phone sales 800 number. Don't
bother waiting for them to EMAIL you. I talked to them recently about
getting a replacement cable for my b&w cam (which they will NOT sell me) and
they did mention that they have extension cables for sale, and they are
pretty inexpensive, if I remember correctly.

Bill Woodland (Squeek =A9)
Email, PowWow, and ICQ: wcw@bga.com
URL:http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/~WCW