Re: Using QuickCam for Astronomical Work

The mad Scientist! (s324131@student.uq.edu.au)
Tue, 6 May 1997 13:56:01 +1000 (GMT+1000)

On Mon, 5 May 1997, K. Starr wrote:

> Actually, I have found the opposite to be the case. One must carefully
> balance lighting in order to prevent burn-out (not of the Quickcam, but of
> portions of the picture). I have not tried it for sky-shots at night, yet,
> though, as I live in a city.

Did you see what somebody wrote about dark current in the Quickcam? I'm
not really an astronomer (although I do have a slight interest), but it
would probably interest you. I think it was possible to overcome it
somehow.

> There are CCD devices made especially for attachment to a telescope.
> Information on these can be obtained by picking up a copy of "Sky and
> Telescope" magazine.

The question that comes to mind is "Can these CCD devices be connected to
a video capture card?" I guess the above magazine would explain all, but
if you can provide an answer to this list I am sure many people would be
most grateful to you.

> >Why exactly do you want to involve CU-SeeMe?
> >

> I don't know about Mr. Carver, but some possibilities that come to mind are
> collaboration among various far-flung members of a astronomy club, broadcast
> to a classroom environment, or, perhaps, one member of a group lives far
> from the city (and the $%#@ ambient light) and can thus broadcast his/her
> "observations" to other members who are not so fortunate.

I guess so, although I would probably use IRC in these situations. After
all, it only takes 2-5 minutes to DCC Send a GIF or JPEG image.
Applications such as CU-SeeMe would be better for phenomena such as a
lunar eclipse, though, I suppose.

s324131@student.uq.edu.au