Re: Version 2.1.1

Mark L. Bardenwerper (bardenwe@vbe.com)
Thu, 15 May 1997 19:24:02 -0500

Story96@aol.com wrote:

> I downloaded CU off the web, and am no longer on demo, but stilled get timed
> out, sometimes every 15 min. or so....what can I do to help this annoying
> situation?
As far as I know, there is not time limit in the CU software.
Timeouts are usually caused by certain reflectors that have a logon time
limit. Not all do. Also, make sure that your Transmit rates are not too
high. That's the quickest way to get bounced off a reflector. Also,
don't send music. I connected to a French public reflector one time. I
had a Big Band Jazz CD playing. I hit Talk and I was kicked off with a
box that said "this is not a broadcast reflector"! I did get some
positive comments from the chatters before I was evicted. I was not
allowed back in for a short period of time. Sound hogs bandwidth as do
users with high rate settings. Think of it this way: the reflector
divvies out bandwidth like pieces of a pie. You should not try to take
too big a piece.