Re: quote

Andrew Murn (amurn@tpgi.com.au)
Thu, 22 May 1997 17:12:15 +1000

Quite right Nick.

In a news group, there are many messages, and if replying in public, it is
necessary to quote some of the message to:
(a) remind the sender, (not very important) and
(b) (more importantly) inform other recipients who might have thrown away
the original without reading it, or perhaps newcomers who didn't receive it
at all.

I store the full text of ALL answers to technical questions - one day it
might come in handy - and so having the initial question attached is helpful
to people like me.

Although a lot of what is quoted is rubbish, it doesn't cost anything much
to send the whole message, and there is an effort involved in culling it.
And so, frequently, but far from always, the entire message is sent.

Most people at least add their message at the top, but it depends on the
individual.