(no subject)

Mark L. Bardenwerper (bardenwe@vbe.com)
Mon, 26 May 1997 17:13:23 -0500

Ron Riggi wrote:

> Hello, I'm new to this listserv, and new to the world of online realtime
> communication, and I could use some help. I downloaded CuSeeMe V2.0 and
> installed it OK to my Pentium 60 Mhz witrh 16 megs of RAM. When I went to
> run it I could access chat but no matter how many times I pushed the
> "transmit" button, and saw the visual scale indicating I was speaking,
> nobody (save one) answered me. I do not know if it works as a result. I do
> know that one individual, whose name was highlighted with a green box around
> his information when I saw the list of members in chat, was very upset with
> me and cursed me out. That was the only voice I got from anywhere, and I
> could not deselect his name from the list. I also get no video although once
> one picture of the earth came through partially from the NASA site. What am
> I doing wrong here? Can anyone help.
>
> I will be replicating this experience for my laptop (100 MHZ Pentium) with a
> video/audio capture PC card if ever I can get this program to work.
>
> Is the pay version any better/easier or is it the "time out" feature the
> only difference?
>
> Thanks for the help.
> "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and
> looks like work" (Thomas Edison)
Check your transmit and recieve rates. You should not try to push the
software beyond the capabilities of your connection. For instance: if
you have a 33,6 modem, you are restricted to roughly 33. So, you should
set your transmit to 12. OK: 33-12=21. Set your recieve to 20 or 21. You
need to give recieve the larger chunk because there is one of you and X
of them. Set your minimums to 7-10. Sound is never going to be totally
streaming unless you have ideal conditions if you only have a phone
modem, so don't expect phone-like results. We mostly use chat.
Forgive the fool who cursed you. There are a lot of nuts out there. I
can't imagine that you had it coming. Download lists and keep track of
good, clean reliable ones. I hope you are not too shocked by some of
what you are going to find. This is a truly open and free forum. Have
fun and good luck.

Also, and THIS IS FOR ANYONE WHO POSTS TO THE LIST, it is easier to
catalog and refer to information on the list archives if the titles of
your postings are meaningful and descriptive, though brief.