Re: alternatives

Sun, 3 May 1998 23:47:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Ray Gannon wrote:
> iVisit (at www.boxtop.com) is probably the best new alternative for video and
> audio over the net. The video speeds are amazing and the audio, while a bit
> tinney, is clear as a bell. They have Macintosh and PC versions available and
> the author is pro-macintosh.

I agree...iVisit is definitely a new and upcoming videoconferencing
program. It has a lot of what CU-SeeMe is used for (multipoint
conferencing) with the addition of rooms to the directory server. I've
also heard they're working on the directory server and the program itself
so that the person who creates a room can have control over who stays in
it. It may truly become an individual "reflector"-like facility. Of
course, CU-SeeMe is much more refined.

The audio can be pretty good at times..as is the video. The amazing thing
is, the PC compressed file is only 750K (includes ALL codecs needed as
well). It's definitely worth a look. And yeah, the principle author (Tim
Dorcey) worked at Cornell University on CU-SeeMe on a Macintosh.